Tuesday, March 15, 2011

10 on Tuesday: ten favorite kinds of pie

Oh, I love this topic! My FIL makes great pies and I've slowly been learning the tricks of the trade.

1) Apple pie: the classic, warm with cinnamon and nutmeg and maybe a little sharp cheddar on the side...

2) Peach-blueberry pie: a FIL favorite. Actually better cold than warm.

3) Cherry pie: another FIL favorite. He used to leave the pits in the cherries but since I joined the family I've made it my job to pit the cherries for him.

4) Amandelspijs Banketstaaf: Dutch almond pie, which was a staple of my childhood but I'd forgotten about since we moved away from NY. (There was a Dutch bakery two towns over from us... also a terrific Italian bakery three towns the other way.) This is what I made yesterday for Pi Day.

5) Lemon Meringue Pie: I never get my meringue right so I depend upon FIL to make this for us.

6) Key Lime Pie: never make it myself, but FIL knocks this one out of the park.

7) Cranberry Pecan Pie: my colleague AJ introduced me to this concept and I've never gone back to pure pecan. That cup of chopped (fresh) cranberries adds tartness, depth, and interest to the pie. This pie, sometimes in bar form, is my go-to baked good for Winter Solstice celebrations.

8) Boston Cream Pie: I've never made it myself, but this was one of the few desserts that my Grandmother (may she rest in piece) could reliably produce. Thinking of it still brings back fond memories of her.

9) Pumpkin Pie: I can't believe I almost forgot to put this in my list! I only make it once a year, for Thanksgiving, but I treasure every slice of it. A little fresh whipped cream and freshly grated nutmeg make all the difference here.

10) Mock-Chicken Pot Pie: well, I also love the real thing, but I'm flexitarian so I'll go for the meat-free version in my official list.

5 comments:

  1. how lucky for you that your FIL is such a fabulous baker!! cranberry pecan is showing up on a few lists - I've never had it (and honestly until this past thanksgiving hadn't even heard of it!) but I think I need to try it. yummy in a bar form too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly lucky to have someone who makes you pie on a regular basis! Great list ... your 'banket' sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, that's three -- maybe even four -- lists that mention Cranberry Pecan Pie and I think I'm going to have to try it!! Nice list (I love the stories/memories).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dutch almond pie sounds like it would be very tasty!

    ReplyDelete