1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain yogurt (whole-fat) or sour cream
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce, preferably home-made
1) Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Butter (and flour?) a 10-inch tube pan.
2) In a nonreactive large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until blended. Add the eggs and almond extract and beat well.
3) Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat into the creamed mixture alternatively with the yogurt. Add the almonds and stir to combine.
4) Spread half of the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan. Spread half of the cranberry sauce over the batter. Spoon in the remaining batter. Top with the remaining sauce. (Don't smear it out... you want it to sink into the batter as the batter rises around it.)
5) Bake the cake until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Remove from the pan and finish cooling on a rack.