Sunday, January 30, 2011

A lovely dinner with no photos

I have a new level of respect for food photographers: it's HARD to take good pictures of oatmeal muffins and cranberry bread. (Think about a lot of brown baked goods on our brown-and-tan plates on our brown table.)

However, I want to recognize today as the day my cooking went completely out of control, but in a good way. So here's a list of recipes and links without any photographic evidence to back them up.

Korean Broccoli (I don't know the Korean word for it): delicious after being allowed to marinate for a couple hours. Definitely a keeper.

Roasted Brussel Sprouts: a perennial favorite in our house. Clean brussel sprouts and chop in quarters if large, in half if medium, and leave alone if tiny. Place in pie plate and toss with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Roast at 400 degrees or higher until thoroughly browned, stirring occasionally. Should take around 40-50 minutes to cook, depending on the size of the pieces.

Spaghetti with Fried Egg: one of The Minimalist's favorite recipes, and now one of my favorites, too. I screwed up the timing and cooked the eggs too much, but it was still delicious.

Oatmeal Muffins: another favorite in our house. My older son likes a couple of these for his school lunch on days when he isn't buying the hot lunch. The buttermilk really does define these.

Dutch Apple Bread with fresh cranberries: an old recipe from my grad school buddy Beth. I've never seen this exact recipe on the Internet, so maybe one day I'll get around to typing it out. I didn't have any margarine and this isn't as good with butter or vegetable oil (I used a combination) but it was still worth eating!

Butternut Thai Soup: oh, baby! I will make this again, and again, and again... I didn't have any Kaffir lime leaves so I just zested most of a lime into the soup at the end. I think that worked out well. I also didn't have any unsweetened coconut to use for a topping but I don't think we missed it. (I will try the coconut if I ever have any on hand.)

No comments:

Post a Comment