Sunday, February 6, 2011

What I've been reading

I never remember to do monthly book reports, but having just finished off a pile of novels this seemed like the right moment.

Romance: I've been working my way through Christine Feehan's "Dark" series as they become available on E-reader.
Dark Legend: I really enjoyed this one. I also couldn't foresee a happy ending for the couple, which ratcheted up the tension very nicely.
Dark Guardian: Pretty good. I really liked the heroine and the hero was less of a jerk than the average Carpathian male.
Dark Challenge: OK, not memorable.
Dark Gold: I thought it was the weakest of the lot. Dear heavens, the hero was so irritating!

Mysteries: I'm slowly working my way through Ruth Rendell's backlist as I turn them up in the library.
Some Lie and Some Die: while this is set so long ago as to almost qualify as historical fiction, it was a well-told story that kept me guessing almost up to the final pages.
Death Notes: a strange case of mistaken identity and possible murder. I didn't enjoy this one as much as I have most of her others, probably because most of the book seemed so unfocused.

Fantasy/Science Fiction:
Shadow of the Scorpion by Neal Asher: a prequel to his previous novels about Ian Cormac. Really good, although having read most of the later books I predicted the ending far too early. I would only recommend this to people who like their SF very bloody.
The Skinner by Neal Asher: technically I'm rereading this, but since I didn't remember 7/8 of the plot I feel justified in counting it. Probably Asher's best work (IMHO). The characters are more varied and interesting than in his other work, and plot hangs together nicely. Once again, I would only recommend this to those who like their SF extremely bloody.
Servant of the Underworld by Aliette de Bodard: a murder mystery set among the Aztecs of the late 15th century. While it made an irritating number of references to the novella that precedes it, the plot hung together beautifully and I can't wait to read the sequel.
Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson: a gorgeous stand-alone fantasy. Gods, princesses, mysterious historical figures returned to the current day, revenge, magic, and devious politics. I can't recommend this one highly enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment