Saturday, June 5, 2010

FO: mittens + pictures!

Finally, I have my computer and my camera AND my camera-cable in the same place.

These are the mittens I made as a good-bye present for my upstairs neighbor, Elli. She's lived in the apartment above mine for nearly 2 years. She requested brown and "classic" which I interpreted as "cables." Turns out I was right. She loves them.


Details: Cascade 220 superwash - lost the band so I can't remember the name of this brown color.
#3 needles, two 16" wooden from KnitPicks
Pattern loosely based on the Lofty Cabled Mittens with the cuff of the Hugs & Kisses Mittens. I mashed the two together and figured out my own way to make the decreases at the top.
Size: a woman's long and narrow hand. About 7" around and 8" long.
Summary: WIN! I love the way these turned out. I took pretty good notes so I hope to be able to recreate these one day.

Next up, the mittens I made for our neighors' son's birthday. His initials are NS, obviously!



Here's the palm side:



Details: Cascade 220 superwash, in grey and red
#3 needles, two 16" wooden from KnitPicks
Pattern mostly from my own experience, with the alphabet provided by Little Cotton Rabbits
Size: a child age 8
Summary: Pretty much a WIN. The mittens fit him now (June) so I'm afraid they may not fit in November. I liked the speed of knitting the top in only one color; I'll definitely do that again.

I speed-knit a pair of mitts for my step-mother for Mother's Day. Modified the pattern to make the cuff less long, which meant putting the cables closer together... let's just say that it's a good thing she has small hands or I don't think she could actually put these on.



Details: Cascade 220 superwash in grey
#3 needles, two 16" wooden from KnitPicks
Dashing, from Knitty
Summary: Cuff was quite tight, since I spaced the cables closer together. I will use the original pattern next time. I do plan to knit these again. They were quick and made a remarkable visual impact for so little effort.

Finally, another good-bye present. The recipient is in my younger son's preschool class and his father is a colleague.




Details: Cascade 220 Superwash, in tan and red
Pattern mostly from my own experience, with the alphabet provided by Little Cotton Rabbits
Size: a child age 3
Summary: Pretty much a WIN. The pattern worked out perfectly. The recipient turns out to have huge hands so the mittens may not fit him by November. Oh well... he'll be in another state by then.

I actually have MORE pairs of mittens to post about, but I'll save them for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment