Thursday, August 26, 2010

FO: Mittens for Alyssa

I made these in the winter of 2009 but forgot to get a good picture before bestowing them on their delighted recipient. Yesterday she finally remembered to snap a picture and send it to me!



At the time, the colors horrified me. (This picture is rather muting the neon-brilliance of the green.) I couldn't believe that the mittens would work out, and consequently dragged my feet about finishing them. Even Alyssa's frequent and sincere expressions of delight over color and pattern couldn't convince me. I handed them over with a shudder of relief.

She wore them all last winter, and every time I saw them out of the corner of my eye I would think, "Wow! What a stunning pair of mittens!" Then, a moment or two later, I would remember... they're MY design. I let Alyssa pick the colors - and she was right about their effect - but I'm the one who put them together. I should be at least a little proud of them.

So here they are: my unloved, painful mittens. Suddenly I'm so proud of them.

1 comment:

  1. I love your mittens in August! It's so hot here, we can't even wear shoes. But I have a pair of half-knit mittens nudging me and another pair waiting to be started. Mittens mean I'm not driving or doing work with my hands! Just walking or sitting and watching the kiddies.

    ReplyDelete