Tuesday, December 18, 2007

When patterns don't give enough info

Right now, I feel like an idiot.

I started "Matrix" from the latest Knitty. I modified the cast-on to be tubular and made it one size larger than the largest given in the pattern, but otherwise followed the directions as stated.

The first 3 inches look terrific.

Then I hit the increases for the thumb, and that's when my troubles started: because the increases happen on every other row, and each row is a different color, so the standard "picking up the running yarn" to Make1 didn't work at all. After much fiddling around, I changed it so that I increased on the dark colored rows (not light) so that I could increase from the line of dark stitches running up each side.

It's still not great,but at least it doesn't look like heck. Fortunately, my DH isn't the picky type when it comes to handknits.

1 comment:

  1. That's a good fix on the run. I like M1 better than kfb. I had to look up the pattern (no time to memorize knitty yet) and now I want to make mittens, too.