Friday, October 22, 2010

Cryoburn

I haven't had much time to read this fall, but I did pre-order seven books by my favorite authors that were due out before Winter Solstice, so that they would magically arrive in my mailbox without any further effort on my part.

This did not, precisely, work out as planned.

Barnes and Noble is still working out their protocols for pre-orders, so I kept having to go in and say, "Yes, I know that this book won't ship for another two weeks, but I still want it...." I eventually complained and the problem went away almost immediately. (Hooray for the Help Desk at BN - apparently they actually do stuff, unlike the nitwits at Amazon. I have never gotten an intelligent response from Amazon.)

Yesterday, All Clear by Connie Willis and Cryoburn by Lois McMaster Bujold arrived! Since I still haven't read Blackout, I didn't start with the Willis (although she's one of my favorite writers.) Instead, I carefully did enough work that I could justify taking the evening off, and then settled in.

It's pretty good. It isn't AWESOME like A Civil Campaign or Memory, but it's definitely worth reading. I suspect that I'll like it much better once I read it again, slower.

No comments:

Post a Comment